Peter Whibberley, a senior research scientist at Britain's National Physical Laboratory, said the Earth's erratic rotation meant an extra second needed to be added.
"The difference between atomic time and Earth time has now built up to the point where it needs to be corrected, so this New Year's Eve we will experience a rare 61 second minute at the very end of 2008 and revelers... will have an extra second to celebrate.
And what can be done with this extra moment...
- Pet your cat in that one spot he adores.
- Smile really big.
- Kiss your sweetie.
- Run outside and gaze at the stars.
- Take a really deep breath.
- Hug your kids, heck... hug any one.
- Read one perfect sentence.
- Say I love you.
Just some ideas, I still have 3 hours, 29 minutes and 48 seconds to decide what I will do with my one second. What did you do with your extra second?