If You Are a Writer... Write!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sweet Whispers on the Wind

Once upon a time there was a girl who thought she knew of kindness. She went merrily about her day, offering little hellos and how do you dos. She would trip lightly from one person to another sharing the bright parts of her day with those she met. She thought they cared for her, as she cared for them, but she didn't really see that all only thought of themselves and what they could take from her. They would only want bits and pieces of her, never really caring for what was true in her.

One day walking through a meadow she met the quiet man. He was dark and sad in a way she hadn't seen before. She thought here is a new friend, another to share bright parts of her, and the more she gave in the beginning, the farther he seemed to pull away from her. She didn't understand this. She gave and she gave but the quiet man stayed on the very edge of her happiness and didn't seem to want to take and take like the others. This confused her more and more.

Then one day quite by accident she discovered the magic of the quiet man. She sat in a meadow where she knew he would walk by, she was hoping to see him, to give him something bright and pretty, to entice him to take from her as that was all she knew. The sun was bright in the afternoon sky and she moved to the edge of the meadow and sat quietly waiting, her back against a tree enjoying it cooling shade, the sweet grass thick around her legs, the small sounds soothing to her. Soon she was asleep, and that was how the quiet man found her. And he looked down at her and felt all she wanted to give, but he knew a better way. And he sat and picked a single wee flower and waited for her to wake. When she did she smiled at him as he sat silently next to her, and he smiled back and blew the flower, the white fluff of a dandelion gently to her and as each floating seed caught the breeze and floated past her she heard his words of love and caring and hope and every secret he ever held tight to.

From that moment on she and the quiet man were together, they needed no words just sweet whispers on the wind. She didn't have to give pieces of herself for he held all of her heart with a single breath. He didn't need to be silent any longer for she heard everything he wanted to say.

And they lived happily ever after

6 comments:

cw2smom said...

Awwwwww! I love this story and I am crying! I've got a quiet man in my life and I want to love him and share the bright parts of me, but he pulls away and is often dark and sad too. I don't understand because I just want to love him. Not consume him, not pressure him, not expect anything but love in return. I'm confused and have thought of pulling away but I can't. I am risking it all for that happy ending! Thanks for this Laura. Love, Lisa

Simplicity said...

Wow! This is So beautifully written. You are so creative. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I hear you or is that just my toaster.

Teri said...

OMG a happily ever after story!
I forgot they existed! That was beautiful. I could totally relate...my inner girl could anyway... :)

Heather said...

You must know how I feel about this story, LJ....don't you?

It's absolutely beautiful to me. Wonderfully written.

Laura Jayne said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments here. I wrote this little bit of a tale for a friend who said in an email after a particularly bad day at work... "Tell me something good." Now, I am sure what was expected was a simply reply that said, "It is 4:30 almost time to go home." But this little Happily-ever-after-ness is what came tripping out of my fingers.

I am glad it made you all smile too. Isn't that one of the great joys of writing? How we can touch people in such interesting ways.

And Moley... it just might be your toaster, listen carefully during the next bagel. :) And don't worry what anyone thinks as you spend those 2 1/2 minutes communing with the appliance.